Wednesday, December 3, 2008

LMS Post Response to Venice Flooding Told Through Photos

This was my response to the photo link for the recent floods in Venice, the worst the city had experienced in 22 years (5 ft deep). What they don't show is all the feces and dead pets floating around...:

I was last in Venice for New Year's 2004 and it flooded then, however, it was only about 8 inches in St. Mark's. The photos are really depressing, but this has been a city slowly sinking for decades and also flooding regularly often just due to the tide (like when I was there). It is a beautiful city and a genuine catastrophe however it should serve as a lesson to different countries/cities to start preparing for such problems now rather than waiting for them to happen and be dealt with in the clean up stages.

Fortunately, it happened to a place that is considered high on the list of cultural preservation where there is money. It really begs the question of how many places are going to be hit with flooding and degradation that are not going to merit the same attention or preservation? (Answer: Likely, too many, and all of them poor.)

Now I am going to have to go back and try to dig up some of my photos from when I was there...but I think that was before I switched to digital ;(

Here are some of the photos provided from that link:

No comments: