Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Time Photo ~ "In the Time of Trees" by Stuart Franklin

Since I deactivated my facebook account in an effort to make myself do more work (less procrastination)...I of course have developed an awe inspiring addiction to flickr and other photos... This grouping was something I found that I really loved. You may go to the link to see the photoshow, but I have taken some of the accompanying quotes about trees as they are pretty great.

In the Time of Trees
Magnum Photographer Stuart Franklin has spent a decade exploring the beauty of trees and the unique place they occupy in man's world.

Poland

"Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life."
- Hermann Hesse, Wandering

Malaysia

"Of all man's works of art, a cathedral is greatest. A vast and majestic tree is greater than that."
- Henry Ward Beecher

Borneo
"The best friend of earth of man is the tree. When we use the tree respectfully and economically, we have one of the greatest resources on the earth."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Morocco
"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." - Nelson Henderson

Galapagos
"Wakening from the dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig sang under my tongue, its drifting fragrance climbed up through my conscious mind as if suddenly the roots I had left behind cried out to me, the land I had lost with my childhood - and I stopped, wounded by the wandering scent." - Pablo Neruda

Egypt
"It is good to know the truth, but it is better to speak of palm trees." - Arab Proverb

Malaysia

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence."
- Hal Borland, Countryman: A Summary of Belief

Germany
"The wonder is that we can see these trees and not wonder more."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

England
"Then here's to the oak, the brave old oak,
Who stands in his pride alone!
And still flourish he a hale green tree
When a hundred years are gone!"
- H. F. Chorley

India
"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago."
- Warren Buffett

Scotland
"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel."
- Aldo Leopold

Argentina
"It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanates from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit."
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Ethiopia
"I'll lie here and learn
How, over their ground,
Trees make a long shadow
And a light sound."
- Louise Bogan

Mexico
"Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does."
- George Bernard Shaw

China
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees."
- Khalil Gibran

No comments: