Friday, November 28, 2008

Go Give Blood, It Might Save You from the Next Plague

About a week ago in Science of Sustainability we were talking about toxins and vectors and pretty much how we're all going to die of bird flu in a Twelve Monkeys sort of scenario before we ever hit peak oil. And we were discussing this article from National Geographic ("The Pollution Within," by D. Duncan, October 2006) in which the author had his blood analyzed and found this whole mess of toxins and metals and chemicals.

This made me recall an interview I had seen on The Daily Show well over a year ago on blood letting ridding the body of chemicals and how I use that as an argument for giving blood today. No one really ever listens to me about it, but it makes me feel like I am getting some of the nasty junk out. This also reminds me that I am due to give some blood...Monday, maybe? But I digress. This is the author on video, Dr. Sharon Moalem, talking about his book, Survival of the Sickest. I could not buy it at the time (I cannot hold hardcovers due to an old rugby thumb dislocation injury), but just now remembered the entire class exchange and found a cheap used copy online to put in the pile of books I keep meaning to read.

No comments: